On this episode of the Plan Simple Meals Podcast, I’m really excited to talk with Michelle Barry Franco, a speaking and thought leadership coach about communication and the impact it can have. She’s also the mom to three teenage girls and talks about the importance of her work in raising them.
Michelle talks about the importance of creating enough space and quiet to know what we really want, that this is a critical starting point for good communication. Knowing what we want is the first step to asking for it. Then of course we get into asking effectively. We talk about thinking that we don’t feel like we deserve what we want. Many of these thoughts aren’t even ours. They are thoughts we’ve picked up over time. Thoughts are just thoughts.
Michelle talks about your stand, which for entrepreneurs in your area of thought leadership, but which can also be a stand you take in your life, for example talking to your kids. Know what you want to say—situationally or as a consistent message.
We talk about:
- Knowing who you are talking to and being able to put them in context
- Why so much miscommunication happens because we don’t take time to understand where the other person is coming from
- Using the idea of understanding somebody to help through the holidays
- Bring more love, compassion, and understanding to the conversation while still standing firm in our values
- Being able to take a strong stand and change your mind
- Knowing when you are done with something, letting go of limiting beliefs, and what that can open up
Michelle is a speaking and thought leadership coach. Her mission is to support and inspire those who feel a powerful call to share their stories and expertise from the stage in stepping into their most authentic powerful expression as a speaker. Michelle has over 30 years of experience in the study and practice of public speaking. She has a Master’s degree in Speech Communication, a BA in Cognitive Psychology and a certification in Whole Person Coaching. Alongside 10+ years of teaching public speaking at the college level, Michelle works with founders, leaders, authors and transformational healers of all kinds to help them tell their stories and change lives with their message. Witnessing the ripple effects of their stories, lessons learned and expertise, as it serves our world so positively, is the greatest gift of her work life.
Doable Changes from this episode:
- TRY UNDERSTANDING CONTEXT. Understanding is a key to effective communication. Next time you face a challenging situation, take a little time first to try to better understand the person you are communicating with, whether it’s your partner, your child, your boss, a client, your audience.
- GET QUIET. We come back to this one again and again. What happens if you get quiet? What do you learn about yourself and what you want?
- CHECKING YOUR THOUGHTS. Are your own thoughts getting your way? Or maybe they are thoughts you have inherited, been handed by others, taken in so many times you believe they are yours. Try acknowledging they are thoughts but not you, not the truth, not in charge.