What would happen if you managed your energy instead of your time? I’m talking with Jackie Woodside, who went from hot mess to happy and blessed, and learned to manage her energy instead of time. If you are chronically busy, chronically pressured, always overcommitting, and always feeling like you have too much to do, this is for you!
Jackie was diagnosed as an adult with ADHD and dove into the mind-body connection to learn to retrain her brain. During a silent retreat, her energy management system emerged. She originally called it Calming the Chaos and recently updated it to The Four Keys to Productivity and Peace of Mind.
Like a lot of listeners, Jackie was high functioning. She had an impressive career, was involved in sports leagues, and was taking classes. In other words, she was doing a lot and it looked like she was on fire, but she knew she wasn’t reaching her potential or making the most of her capabilities. She was doing everything last minute and putting off things that were important to her, like writing a book, for short-term tasks. We look at how things changed.
We talk about:
- Your BEATs (your beliefs, emotions, attitudes, and thoughts) and how you can manage them and why you need to focus on beliefs and attitudes before your to dos
- Specific practices that Jackie uses for self-development and adjusting BEATs, including self-coaching dialogue and shifting perspectives
- Having the neurological and psychological capacity to change our inner world and the difference between your mind and brain
- Dealing with procrastination
- Going from values to vision
- Planning your time and make to dos things you can do
Jackie Woodside, CPC, LICSW is a best-selling author, TEDx speaker, radio and television personality and seminar leader who is passionate about expanding the edge of human potential. Jackie provides custom training programs, workshops and keynote speeches for businesses, government and non-profit organizations, spiritual centers and national organizations around the country.
LINKS FROM EPISODE
- Join Jackie’s Productivity Course (Starts April 26)
- On Facebook: Jackie Woodside Speaker
- Also on Facebook: The Vibe Tribe with Jackie Woodside
- Redesign with Jackie Woodside
Doable Changes from this episode:
- MAKE TO DOS DOABLE. Take a look at your To Do list. Find an item on there that is too big or vague. Something like Write book or Declutter the house. Break this down to one tiny task. Write chapter 1 or Research Topic X for 30 minutes, or Clean out the junk drawer OR Make a bag of shoes to donate. Then schedule the time to do that task.
- KNOW YOUR VALUES. Jackie talks about turning values into vision and how she color codes her calendar to reflect her values. The first step to this is knowing your values. Start with a list of values. Cross off any that don’t resonate. Highlight any that do. Read through the list again. Keep narrowing it down until you have about 5–10. Pick one to focus on. How will you incorporate it into your life today?
- GET INTO NATURE. Being in nature calms the brain. Get outside into some green space. If you can’t do that, nature pictures can help. But spend some time in nature to help calm your brain. Do this before you do any kind of planning or visioning. Do it daily for an overall calmer system.