On this episode of the PlanSimple Podcast, I’m really excited to talk with Megan Flatt, founder of Focus Sessions, about getting things done 90 minutes at a time — and how this fits with the goals and planning we do in FLOW365.
Focus Sessions are hosted virtual co-working sessions to get done the important things that move you towards your goals. In FLOW365, we used to do something similar called Get It Done sessions, because it’s easy to have a plan, but get distracted.
Focus Sessions take advantage of something called social effervescence. We perform better when others around us are doing a similar thing. Add in a flow to get you focused and some accountability, and Focus Sessions really help people get things done.
We talk about:
- The difference between physical co-working spaces and virtual co-working (and how you could use Focus Sessions in a co-working space)
- How to prepare to focus
- The power of declaring and sharing what you are going to do
- Choosing a bucket for your focus session—Deep Work, Planning & Visioning, or Clearing the Deck—and why each is important
- Creating a container to get things done — and scheduling when you will do things
- Finding what’s working and not working in our focus and productivity so that we make adjustments
Megan Flatt is the CEO of Let’s Collective, a business growth strategy firm devoted to making entrepreneurship easier. She is also the founder of Focus Sessions, a virtual coworking and accountability membership to get your most important work done. Let’s Collective’s mission is to help small businesses scale without burning out through strategic planning, revenue focused decisions and science backed accountability.
Megan is obsessed with lattes, post-it notes and helping women make money. When not doing that, she’s hanging with her husband and two kids, probably near the water, in the San Francisco Bay Area. You can catch up with Megan at letcollective.co or focus-sessions.com.
Doable Changes from this episode:
- CHECK OUT FLOW365. If you’re intrigued by the idea of Focus Sessions, check out FLOW365. Focus Sessions are part of this year-long program because we know it’s not enough to have a goal and a plan — you need time to do the work too. And when you can do it with other people and accountability, you’ll be even more productive.
- SCHEDULE TIME TO DO DEEP WORK. If you aren’t a FLOW365er or Focus Session member, you can still schedule time to do Deep Work. Block off 90 minutes on your calendar. Turn off notifications. Put up a do not disturb sign. Take some deep breaths to settle in. Then declare exactly what you are focusing on. Text it to a friend for some accountability. Set a timer and begin.
- CLEAR THE DECKS. When you’re overwhelmed with a to-do list that’s out of control or your desk is so chaotic you can’t think, it’s time to clear the deck. Clearing the deck clears mental space and energy for other work and may help replenish and refresh you to do your deep work and visioning. Set a timer and do a bunch of tasky items—filing, making appointments, powering through emails, declutter your desk.