This episode is from our event, the Art of 90 Days. This is a lesson that may be stopping some people from signing up, so I want to make sure more of you can hear it.
Why Focus on Selfcare?
Self-nurturing is deeper than self-care. It’s not just the activities but how we do them. Self-nurturing is the act of caring for ourselves by deeply nourishing, cherishing, and encouraging our own growth and potential. What’s on the other side is more peace, more joy, more meaning, and a deeper connection and feeling of belonging in our relationships. Life feels less overwhelming and exhausting because we approach everything differently.
What Does a 90-Day Goal Look Like?
Do something measurable. Don’t say, “I will add more self-care.” Say, “I will develop a nurturing morning routine in 90 days” or “I will know how to spend an hour a day nurturing myself in 90 days.”
What Are Some Habits That Are Part of this 90-Day Goal?
- Start small and build. For example, start with 10 minutes 3 times a week of something that is deeply nurturing—meditation, a walk-in nature, connecting with gratitude, journaling.
- Approach this practice with compassion and flexibility.
- Build a plan to deal with resistance—do you have options and choose the one that feels most right in the moment? Do you work through the resistance? Is it approaching things differently (doing Shavasana instead of a yoga flow? Doing 10 deep breaths instead of your usual mediation session)?
What Are Some To-Dos That Are Part of this 90-Day Goal?
- Schedule time for nurturing, even if it is only a few minutes a day.
- Create a list of things that you do to nurture yourself.
- Schedule three check-ins with yourself each day (How do I feel? What do I need right now?)
“I have a vision of women really embracing themselves on a journey of self-discovery, on a journey of creativity, on a journey of knowing themselves in a really deep and powerful way so that, that is the attention and intention that they bring to all of their relationships.” -Kelley Grimes
Kelley Grimes, MSW, is a counselor, speaker, internationally best-selling author, and self-nurturing expert. She is the founder of Cultivating Peace and Joy and is passionate about empowering overwhelmed and exhausted women to improve their health, wealth, and relationships by getting to the root of their habit of self-neglect and guiding them in cultivating a sustainable practice of self-nurturing. Kelley believes in nurturing peace in the world from the inside out. In addition, she provides professional and leadership development to organizations dedicated to making the world a better place. She also teaches self-nurturing to women overcoming domestic violence, homelessness, and other major life challenges at local non-profits. She is married to an artist, has two empowered daughters, and loves singing with a small women’s group. Her new book, The Art of Self-Nurturing: a field guide to living with more peace, joy, and meaning will be published in Sep 2020. Find Kelley at https://cultivatingpeaceandjoy.com/.