I recently ran a live event for a small group of women where we sat around my kitchen table and planned Q4 — October, November, and December.
Each woman came to the table wanting to get really clear on how to finish this year in business strong.
As we went through the exercises, however, the stories we heard were about household goals, relationships that needed attention, and food habits that wanted to be cleaned up.
And sitting there, with this group of AMAZING women entrepreneurs, I was reminded of why I do what I do, and that no matter how big our goals are we need our food, our home, our relationships, and ourselves to feel nourished.
This week I have been doing a fascinating exercise myself around simplifying. I bought Courtney Carver’s course, Soulful Simplicity. As Courtney was teaching to clean out spaces, I also was prompted to clean out all my closets and the basement from my own coach.
Here’s the interesting part… every time I set my timer, leave my computer and declutter, amazing things happen in other areas of my life.
The only reason I make the time to do the work in a course or from a coach is that I make a plan. My plan gives me the structure to show up to the life I want to create — even though I may think I have better things to do than clean out a closet at the moment.
On this week’s podcast, I talk you through the process that I shared with the women at the kitchen table.
I also made you some worksheets so you have a place to answer the questions for yourself.
In case you just want the prompts for your own journal, these are the questions we answered.
I recommend setting a timer for 15 minutes for each prompt and trying to focus on the task at hand for the full 15 minutes. If 15 minutes comes and you feel incomplete, make a choice as to whether you want to set the timer once again. Know that you can feel complete with the 15 minutes.
- What does your life look like 5 years from now? If you have young children I would imagine 10 years from now. Think about what a day looks like. You can reflect on what just happened and what you are looking forward to on other days, but get yourself through a whole day.
- Do a master list, aka brain dump. This is EVERYTHING in your mind in no order and unfiltered. I need to brush my teeth. I need to buy more apples. I want to find a great skirt. I want to write a book. I need to call and make that doctor’s appointment. I need to organize Christmas break. I want to help my kid with that friendship. I want to renovate our third floor… you get my drift.
- Decide how you want to feel this season. This season is the next 3 months — the busy fall through the holiday season. Why do you want to feel this way? What does that look like? Words are limited and loaded, so really describe this feeling (or set of feelings) for yourself.
- With your writing from questions 1–3 in mind, decide the 4 things you are going to work on in the next 90 days. I want you to choose one thing in each FLOW category — Food and wellness, Lifestyle and family, Om (aka spirituality and self-care), and Work.
- Make one sheet. With your four goals decided. Make a one-sheet with the list of activities you need to tackle and habits you need to cultivate to move towards this vision in the next 90 days.
You’ve got this!